Friday, February 9, 2007

Roman holiday...







In December, Dave had the wonderfully romantic notion to take me on a weekend holiday in Rome. Dave's been to Italy many times, but I had never been and was more than happy at the thought of taking in a new city with my sweetheart husband.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and hit the town after a quick lunch. Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona. One more stellar than the next. We also drove by the Colliseum and the Forum. The history to be found in this city had me some kind of stunned.

But, as if the history weren't food enough, I also couldn't wait to try the stuff for which Italy is famous. And Penne Arrabbiata was first on my list.

Oh...but wait...we hit a glitch...

Somewhere around the time when we should've been getting all gussied up for a night on the town, something in my system decided to reject anything and everything I had eaten for the last twenty four hours. So...the next 30 hours were all about being locked up in the hotel room, trying not to get any sicker.

We had a visit from a Vespa-driving Italian doctor (who reminded me a bit of our Spanish neighbor in LA named Jordy). One shot and an armful of meds later, I was soon on the mend.

We had just enough time on Sunday before our flight to take a gander at St. Peter's Cathedral in Vatican City. What an amazing place. Absolutely beautiful. I was struck by some of the "current" design features of this six hundred year old worship space. Timeless. And enormous!

Here are a few pix. I'm still looking a little green as we stand in front of St. Pete's, but at least you can see a piece of what we saw. The second shot is one Dave took of the ceiling of the Pantheon. The one of the two of us (where I'm NOT looking green) is in front of the Spanish steps.

The last one is of the Pope.

Have a great day everyone!

L

No comments: