Tuesday, February 27, 2007

We got by with a little from our friends...

Sunday morning, Dave and I started the process of moving all of our boxes and stuff into the lobby of our building (an astonishing pile, really). The Man With a Van (a.k.a. Lee) showed up at 9 and started the big transfer.

Within two hours, we had moved all of the stuff from one flat to another. With the help of fabulous friends Susie and Carly, we had the kitchen entirely unpacked and organized only an hour later. A few hours after that, when Dave and I were ready to drop, Karen and her family dropped by and got us going again. Her husband John helped Dave put my desk together, Karen helped me finish up the guest room, and their son Alex kept everyone company along the way.

A big thank you to Susie, Carly, Karen, John and Alex!!! Amsterdam didn't feel like home until we made good friends like you.

We've slept here two nights now, Remmie's starting to settle down into his new space, and I'm beginning to adjust to the fact that I now need a walkie talkie to communicate with Dave when we're in different rooms of the house. Funny thing after being confined together in 65 square meters for two years.

Our dining room table was delivered yesterday and it's the first of a few beautiful pieces yet to come into our living room. The rest will be coming in the next 6-10 weeks. I can't wait for it all to get here! Like anyone with a nesting bug, I imagine how all the rooms will look a dozen times a day. Colors. Shapes. The experience of being in each room. Our guest room is already done, and I'm so happy with it. It's a real get-away suite (so much that I might have to drag Dave out of it as soon as our bedroom furniture arrives!).

Feeling lucky beyond belief to be in this beautiful and unique Dutch home. Really, you must come visit. Take a Dutch retreat. Use this house ("huis") while we have it! It's more than enough space for the three of us. :)

Signing out now. I'm going to make myself some coffee and start my day.

I think better leave crumbs behind me or I'll never find my way back!

Groetjes,
me

No comments: